Thursday, August 27, 2009

Kid Safe Software

Hi, this is my blog about finding wholesome educational / entertaining software for children that enriches their lives. As a homeschooler, I thought it would be helpful to share my experiences. I would say if you're looking for a non violent game for children-- even an educational one, you're not exactly looking for a needle in a haystack, but you're certainly looking at a short list.

In the coming months I hope to relate my experience with a variety of educational and entertaining software and sites developing a short list as a guide for home schoolers, teachers, and school-going children that adds to the experience of life. I have a few that we've used in my home, and will start with those. I'm always on the look out for new ones, so please write me at:
kidsafesoftware@gmail.com if you know of any.

In an effort to make my job easier I don't want to get into the nuances of what is a violent game and what is not. For example, Mario allows children to to play as a character that can jump on the heads of cartoon creatures to destroy them, but Mario would never really be described as a violent game. Instead it would be referred to as "fantasy violence," or some such. Instead of getting into all that, put simply if the game has violence of any sort I will keep it from this list. That will keep the job of listing the games easier for me, and will make the list better for readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment